The Real Git
Have you ever tried to rebase without actually understanding what you're doing?
The version control system is one of the essential tools for a software professional and the most popular version control system today is Git. You’ll greatly favor yourself and your whole team by understanding it and learning to use it effectively.
- Strong understanding of Git basics
- Git and distributed version control don’t scare you anymore
- Understanding what you can do with Git and what not
- Solid skills to explore Git further on your own
- Anyone who wants to understand Git and version control. Even complete version control newbies are warmly welcome!
- Git users who wish to go deeper
- Git users who want to build up the self-confidence to teach others
- Anyone considering migrating to Git
- What is a version control system and distributed version control system?
- What is Git?
- Basic operations
- Creating a repository
- Working tree
- Creating commits
- Staging area
- Branches and how to use them efficiently
- Merging branches
- Rebasing branches
- Working with branches
- Remote operations
- What are remotes
- Fetch vs. pull
- What creates conflicts
- Tips and best practices
- Tips about using Git
- Questions and answers about the subjects of the course
You’ll need a laptop with a recent version of Git and Gitk installed. During the course, we’ll be using Git from the command line. We’ll also use Gitk, a graphical Git repository browser. These can be downloaded for most platforms from git-scm.com.
The course takes one workday.